Meditation is a powerful tool for self-discovery. Meditation can reintroduce you to the part that has been missing. Where there is peace and meditation, there is neither anxiety nor doubt. It is more than an art; it is the way to a life of serenity and inner peace. It helps you quieten the mind, so that your soul can speak.
Zen meditation is the primary religious practice in Zen Buddhism, a sect of Buddhism that developed in China in the 7th Century. Traditionally it is called “Zazen”, which translates to “seated meditation”. The methods of Zen meditation vary from school to school, but in general it is regarded as a means of insight into the nature of existence.
While most forms of meditation are practiced to get relaxation, Zen meditation specializes in getting to the core of your problems and in quelling your anxieties and uncertainties. You do not have to be a Buddhist to practice Zen meditation; anybody can do it once they learn the techniques. Basically, it consists of sitting in the correct posture and rhythmic breathing.
There are numerous benefits to exercising Zen meditation:
1) Reducing Anxiety and Stress: We all face stress and anxiety in the course of our lives. What a challenge is how we cope with them. Zen meditation helps in emptying your mind, freeing your conscience, and filling you with knowledge of whatever it is that you are seeking. This is why Zen meditation is a perfect tool to calm your mind and let go of the stress.
2) Clarifying your thoughts: We live in an age of hurry and materialism. There is not enough time to do all that we want to do, and in the time that we have at our control, we mess things up by doing too many things at the same time. As such, we are never able to focus on one thing at a time. We are just too busy, too confused, and too messed up in our heads. Zen meditation helps in this by filtering your thoughts, helping you make the best use of your time, and letting you use your available time in the most productive fashion.
3) You are able to sleep better: The average human being needs at least 7 hours of sleep for a healthy living. But today, with all the business and stress, it is hard to catch a proper nap, let alone a 7 hour-long one. Zen meditation helps in easing your body so that you can be able to sleep in peace at night. Healthy sleep patterns are the key to a healthy living.
4) Higher levels of confidence: When you work with a clear, relaxed and focused mind, you are able to achieve higher levels of efficiency in your professional and personal life. This creates a diligent, positive public image, which helps in boosting your self-confidence and trust levels.
5) Helps abate depression: Depression is the result of stress and low self-esteem. Zen meditation helps articulate feelings and personal emotions in a positive way. It helps in the recovery period of depression. It helps you understand the true reasons behind your depression, and gives you the will to overcome it.
6) Healthy relationships: When you become self-aware and self-confident, you become comfortable with relationships. We are social beings and maintaining healthy, positive contact with fellow human beings can be the ingredient to a productive life. When you have healthy relationships, you will be able to function better in your social life.
7) You become comfortable under your own skin: The practice of Zen meditation is famous for building self-morale and happiness. Your faith deepens, your life is back on track, and the future looks ever so bright. Basically, you become comfortable with yourself.
Zen meditation has many more benefits. It helps you relax and you’ll enjoy your meditation sessions. With regular meditation, you’ll find that you have become a changed person.
Photo Source: DarrenHester