“Fear is only as deep as the mind allows.” – Japanese Proverb
Last Friday was a very productive day for me. I felt totally energized. I could feel a bounce as I walked. However, the very next day was totally different. I felt lethargic and tired. I had lost my motivation. That evening I went to sleep thinking how I had completely wasted my day. Needless to say, I was upset and angry with myself.
The two days were totally different, but I couldn’t figure out what exactly caused the difference. The next day, while I was out walking, I realized what my real problem was.
Friday was a great day because on that day I had conquered a fear which had been bothering me for a while.
Ever since I quit my job and began to work for myself, I had been finding one excuse or another to avoid doing a certain task. First, I was busy working on my blogging project. Also, I had to do several other things as well.
Eventually, I realized that my real problem was fear. I decided to tackle the fear. I didn’t let the fear of failing to enter my head. I started working on that task with renewed energy and when I finished it, I felt like a winner.
Lesson 1: Overcome fear and you’ll feel great.
The next day, my fear overpowered me. I started doubting whether I would be able to finish an important project I had been working on. I was worried; I was anxious and consequently I couldn’t do much work. That made the difference. My fear spoiled my day.
Lesson 2: If you let fear overcome you, you will feel helpless.
Once I realized what my real problem was, I decided to take an action. The last two weeks have been highly productive.
How to conquer your fears?
Conquering fear isn’t that easy. There is no magic cure for fear. Worse still, fear can come back even after you have conquered it. However, there is hope. You can defeat fear if you act appropriately. The first thing you need to do is to convince yourself that your fear is irrational and that with hard work, courage and determination, you can achieve whatever you want.
You cannot try something new, if you are not ready to face your fears. Here is how to overcome fear and kick it to its curb.
You cannot be true to yourself if you let fear overpower you.
Take these 7 steps today to overcome all those fears that have been sapping you off your energy.
1. Identify what it is that you are afraid of. It could be the fear of failing. Are you afraid of losing your job? Are you afraid of rejection?
2. Get angry. You can’t let fear hold you back. You can’t let it destroy your life. It is high time you stopped being nice to fear.
3. Take the fear off your mind. What is fear? Most fears are imaginary. Dismiss them as soon as they creep into your mind.
4. Have a plan. If you’re a job seeker and you are afraid of facing the interview board, you need to improve your communication skills. Join a personality development course or do whatever you can to tackle the problem. When you have got all the skills you need to deal with a situation, fear cannot survive.
5. Act immediately. Don’t let fear invade your mind. Take action now itself.
6. Tell yourself that you are above fear and that you won’t let a negative emotion like fear debilitate you. Repeat it at least ten times.
7. In those moments of weakness when fear lifts its ugly head again, dismiss it immediately.
Fear is a virus. Don’t let it infect your mind. Follow the seven steps given above and you will learn how to overcome fear. And when you are fearless, you will feel strong and confident. Fearlessness works wonders for your body and mind. It fills your heart with courage, confidence, and enthusiasm.
Do you feel better now? So get going!